The Opening Plenary
The Opening plenary is the official welcome of participants, aiming to inspire dynamic and fruitful conversations throughout the Week.
The theme of World Water Week 2018 is Water, Ecosystems and Human Development. The Opening plenary of 2018 will present this theme from inspirational as well as thoughtful angles.
Invited speakers will share their views on the critical role that water plays for the functioning of our ecosystems – the very basis of our existence. Their presentations will highlight the complexity of this years’ theme ranging from natural blue and green infrastructures and landscapes to to grey infrastructure, economic development and human well-being.
The plenary will commence with official welcome addresses, keynotes by high-level decision makers, a panel discussion and as by tradition, the Stockholm Water Prize Laureate lecture.
- Mr. Torgny Holmgren, Executive Director, Stockholm International Water Institute
- H.E Amina J Mohamed, Deputy Secretary General, UN
- H.E The Pope Francis – video message (tbc)
- H.E. Minister Per Bolund, Minister for Financial Markets and Consumer Affairs, Deputy Minister for Finance (tbc)
- Mark van Loosdrecht, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
- Professors Bruce Rittmann, Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University, USA
- Ms Jayathma Wickramanayake Envoy on Youth, UN (tbc)
- Ms. Karin Wanngård, Mayor of Stockholm